Celebrate March is Reading Month with the Hastings Public Library!
To celebrate the joy of reading the Hastings Public Library is sponsoring the
Reading is Out of This World March Reading Club. Kids in preschool through high school can begin signing up at the Library on March 1st. Prizes are earned by keeping track of the books kids read. Parents can read to young children, so they can participate and kids who read chapter books get to count the pages they read. Prizes will be awarded at intervals throughout the club with the final prize the selection a book.
In keeping with the theme, on March 14th the Library is bringing in the Starlab Planetarium for the day. During the day all first graders attending Hastings Area Schools will be bussed to the Library for a visit to the portable planetarium. Everyone else is invited to come for a star show in the evening. There will be for 30-minute shows starting at 6:00, 6:30, 7:00 and 7:30 pm. Be sure to register for a specific time in order to insure your place. It is sure to be a star studded show.
For more information about the reading club or planetarium contact the Hastings Public Library at 269-945-4263
Hands on and creative FUN for the whole family at Hastings Public Library. Pet a bunny, see the stars, meet groups doing Creative Things with Kids and take home slime or a bouncy ball created by YOU! FREE Family Science Night
What You Need To Make a Super Bouncy Ball:
- 1/4 Cup Elmer’s Glue-All
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Borax (you can find this in the laundry aisle)
- Gel Food Dye
- 1/4 cup Warm Water
How To Make a Super Bouncy Ball
- Pour glue into a bowl
- Add a few drops of the gel food dye
- Stir until it’s pretty blended together. This doesn’t have to be perfect, just stir it a bit.
- Add 1 1/2 Tbsp Borax to the Mix and stir your mixture together. It will start to form a gooey plastic-like substance.
- Now, add the water and stir the mixture around in the water. The water will never mix with the mixture, but it does help to stiffen it up.
- When your mixture is stiff enough, take it out of the bowl and run it under warm water in the sink until it hardens up. (It will never harden all the way, it’s going to be more like a big glob than anything else.)
- Dry off the glob with a towel and form into a ball.
This gooey mixture will bounce anywhere, and you can form it into all sorts of shapes. It’s moldable, and will stay in ball form for a little while before you have to reshape it. When you’re done playing, store it in an airtight container so you can use it again and again!